Spring is almost here! As we prepare for longer days and warmer temperatures, we can also look forward to more time spent outdoors which can have a positive impact on our mood, health, and wellbeing. And, with many Americans getting ready to move their clocks ahead an hour this coming weekend, now is a great time to start adjusting your daily routine to welcome more hours of daylight and the new season that’s ahead.
“Spring is the season of new beginnings, and it’s a great time to think about adjusting your daily routine accordingly,” says AROmotion’s founder, Dr. Robert Dean. “I have a go-to Spring Forward Checklist that I start working through this time every year. Not only does it help me and my patients get ahead of the time change for minimal disruption to sleep, but it also helps us prepare to get the most out of the upcoming season.”
Are you ready to Spring Forward? Here is Dr. Dean’s checklist to help you prepare:
- Adjust Your Sleep Schedule: As we get ready to spring forward, our bodies will start to feel the effects of daylight saving time. Start by setting your alarm for 15-20 min earlier and every few days adjust it by 10-15 minutes until getting up an hour earlier feels natural. It’s best to start adjusting our sleep schedules prior so that we aren’t left feeling groggy and sleepy when we’d rather be outside enjoying more sunshine!
- Hydrate: Challenge yourself to add more water into your daily routine! Start your day with a glass, finish two glasses with every meal, or carry a water bottle with you at all times – make it a priority! With nicer weather, more sunshine and being more active, your body is going to need much more hydration.
- Prep Your Garden or Yard: As temperatures rise, it’s a good time to get your yard and gardens prepped and ready! This is a great way to soak up more vitamin D while getting some extra exercise. Clean up a few things here and there every day so that when the weather is more consistent, you can get right to the fun stuff versus focusing on cleaning up all at once.
- Add in Seasonal Foods: Time to check out your farmers market to see what fresh fruits and veggies are finally back in season! This is a great way to support your local community while adding more nutrients back into your diet. Foods that are grown and consumed during their appropriate seasons are more nutritionally dense and actually taste better! Some favorites you should be on the lookout for this spring include: apricots, asparagus, cabbage, carrots, kiwi, mushrooms, onions, pineapples, and many more you can find here.
- Refresh Your Bedding: We are all well aware of “Spring Cleaning” and all that goes into decluttering our homes. But what we often miss are things like bed sheets, pillows, blankets and towels! After being cozied up all winter it’s a great time to change these things out to be better fitted for spring. Try swapping out your heavy comforter and sheets for something lighter and more breathable to help you sleep more comfortably through the night. Make sure to wash and change out your pillow protectors and blankets so that all those winter germs don’t roll over into spring! It may feel like extra additions to your cleaning list, but it’ll make a huge difference!
- Stock Up on Sun Protection: As we get ready to be outside more after being cooped up all winter, we also need to make sure we protect ourselves! Be sure to add sunscreen to your next shopping list and apply anytime you plan to be outside for extended periods of time. Also, be sure to treat yourself to a new pair of sunglasses or a new hat to protect your eyes from all that sunshine we missed out on during winter. Springtime won’t be so enjoyable if we’re left tending to sunburn and eye pain!
“This is such a great time of the year because the increased daylight will have a positive impact on our moods,” says Dr. Dean. “It’s important to take the time to prepare for the shift so we can get the most out of the new season ahead.”
Can you feel the sunshine yet? By following Dr. Dean’s Spring Forward checklist, you’ll be ready to soak it up and enjoy a healthy and happy spring!
Are you living with chronic knee, hip, or shoulder pain that’s preventing you from getting outside and doing what you love? Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with Dr. Dean to see if you are a candidate for our non-surgical treatment that has helped more than 1,800 patients stop their joint pain fast.
By entering your information and clicking Submit, you are consenting to be contacted by our company representatives by phone, email, text/SMS, and through the use of automatic telephone dialing systems and prerecorded messages at the number(s) and email address(es) listed above even if your number provided on the form above is on a National or State Do Not Call List. Your consent does not require you to purchase any goods and/or services and you understand that you are not required to sign this authorization to receive services.